On the canine front, today's good news is that Sugar Dick has remained in hiding. The bad news is that Sebastian's other nictitating membrane is now prolapsed, so he has double cherry eye. Hopefully it's not going to cost another $800 to fix the second eye....
Soon I am going to have to sell my yarn to pay for vet bills.
Good thing I have lots of yarn.
Speaking of which, my recent arrivals include my first foray into the Sweet Georgia fiber / sock yarn club. Felicia's club is one skein per month. This month the yarn is Superwash Sock, which is a standard 2-ply pebbly twist 100% merino. The colour is called Rockwater. Miraculously, I got the photos on Ravelry before my blog. That must be a record.
This week (or last week, they all run together now) also brought my Cookie A and Janel Laidman yarns, as well as my Hazel Knits October sock club offerings.
I had peeked at the HK spoilers on Ravelry, and I was underwhelmed by the Cat's Eye colourway. The Witching Hour is a dark purpley blue (kind of like the very dark night sky), but the cat's eye is black with yellow and green. But when I opened the package, I was pleasantly surprised. I kind of like it. It's not as garish as the photos make it out to be.
Having said that, my iPhone of course takes garish photos, so the yellow/green looks more lurid and there isn't enough red in the Witching Hour. (As usual, the iPhone isn't great with reds and purples).
The Cookie A sock club offering for October is Fleece Artist Sea Wool in a grey colour. It's not bad. But the yardage of Fleece Artist / Hand Maiden just drives me nuts.
The Janel Laidman yarn is a 50% merino, 50% tencel blend. I think it might be from one of the former contributors to Dye Dreams. (Stephanie or Mona?? Can't remember). Anyway I got the bright option, and the blue skein is actually a lovely royal purple. Nice colours, and the pattern is about my difficulty level. So as soon as I can figure out tension, I may give this one a whirl.
So that's it for yarn.
In terms of WIPs, I have the Bijou Bison yak something or other sock which I'm doing. The yarn is a 2-ply 85% yak down, 15% nylon blend. It's very loosely plied and is a bit lumpy. Clara Parkes recommended doing something lacey with it in her Knitter's Book of Socks because the yarn is so warm. But that's what I want it for -- either it will be for Princess for wearing under her steel toes when she gets back to work, or I'll wear them to walk the dogs and shovel snow.
I'm doing a 72-stitch top-down sock on 2.0 mm SNA needles. I have one of the last sets in existence. The fabric is nice and dense. The colourway is called Parsifal, and it's dyed by Lorna's Laces. I am pretty sure it's the same as the Lorna's Laces Goldhill. I'm doing the Everyone Outta the Pool stitch pattern. So far so good, even if it's a little ho hum boring.
I also frogged the cuff I had started out of Love Bug using the Daphne pattern from the July Cookie A club. Christine gave me the Love Bug for my birthday. On the weekend we were talking about socks by Cookie A, and I said I wanted to re-do the Twisted Flower. It's one I had started when I was a new knitter and not suprisingly, I ended up putting it away in frustration. I think my problem was that I was using the wrong yarn . I tried to use Zauberball which is a hideous one-ply nasty yarn. So now I'm using Bugga from Christine. And I'm using the earlier version of Twisted Flower which I had purchased from Cookie A's website a couple of years before Knit Sock Love came out. The ribbing is 2x2 rather than 1x1 twisted ribbing. Apparently Elizabeth Zimmerman thinks (thought?) that 2x2 ribbing is the most elastic, so that's what I'm using.
I'm only on about row 17 of the pattern, so I haven't bothered to photograph it yet.
The other WIP is the Octopus. When I came home last night (this morning) from picking BFF up from the airport, I discovered that Princess had made the eyes. She bought round styrofoam balls about the size of tennis balls, and she used acrylic paint to paint the eyes. She purchased Hallowe'en fake eyelashes and purple hair spray. The bodice / dress is essentially done other than sewing it up the back and stitching shut the elastic. Princess just put the eyes on the dress for effect; they're not affixed yet.
And as of yesterday, the tentacles were waiting to be affixed to the underskirt. I did that tonight, but I'm not sure that the elastic in the waist is going to be strong enough to hold up the skirt with the 8 tentacles.
The octopus head is essentially the bodice. Then there is a flowy skirt which goes over the under skirt, and the tentacles are attached to the under skirt.
I have told Princess several times that it's a good thing she's not going as a centipede or a millipede.
When the outfit is finished, I will have FO shots.Even though this thing is perhaps the biggest pain in the arse on planet Earth, it will be very cool when it's done.
Final parting shot: The cherry eyed poop bandit.