I got so caught up with that wretched bit of knitting that I ended up not finishing the blog post. So now I have way more things to add, so this will be a new blog post. Or perhaps I’ll break it up into several blog posts.
Under the category of Random Things I Notice on My Travels we have the uber-safety conscious esteemed institution of higher learning’s half-hearted compliance with the Fire Safety Act regulations and the Fire Code of Canada.
I finished the Roger Socks (Roger That) in the November Nudibranch Bugga for Princess. 64 stitches. One sole was a double gusset decrease, and the other was a single gusset decrease every 3 stitches. I like the original way better. But they’re done.
I had ordered some DK Lively from Hazel Knits in earthy colours for mitten / hat colourwork stuff. I am going to do Adrian Bazilia’s Squirrel Sampler Mittens, and I thought the Arroyo would be a good acorn / squirrel colour – either with the Nekkid or maybe with the Cephalopod orange.
And yes, that’s an 11” circular needle you see on the side. I was reading one of the Robyn Gallimore designs, and she suggests doing colourwork socks on a 12” circular needle.
Preposterous, thought I.
Then when I was on my trek to LK yarns several Saturdays ago, I saw that they had a 9” Chiaogoo Red Cord 2.0 mm needle, and I decided to try it. It has quite short stems (stalks?) and took a bit of getting used to, but I did cast on a sock with it. The problem is that the Chiaogoo needles don’t have a very sharp point, and I was attempting to do a pattern with twisted stitches. (Yes, that falls in the category of DUH what was I thinking…)
So I ended up ripping it out after about 3 inches. And I had a panicked thought wondering about how to do the heel – do I need to do an afterthought heel, or would a heel flap and gusset work? Hmm…. So then I frogged it because my mind was spinning. And 9 inches is a wee bit small.
When I was looking at the HK site, I saw that she had 11” Hiya Hiya stainless steel circs in 2.75 mm and so I ordered one. Haven’t cast on with it yet, but I think I shall do an experimental sock.
I had ordered another 3 skeins of Cepahlopod yarns. They are Ghost Moth (love), Rhinoceros Beetle (for colourwork) and Eurota Purple Wing. When I opened the package it was at night, and the Eurota Purple Wing looked almost exactly like the Charaxes Tiridate, so I was a little disappointed. It’s better under natural light, but it’s still not quite as violet as I was hoping. But I still love it, so there’s nothing bad here.
What is bad is poor Sarah’s struggles. You should read her latest blog post – A Smaller Life. I am pretty sure I have encountered no one who has worse luck than Sarah, and yet she always manages to come up with an air of calm acceptance even if she isn’t exactly smiling. So if any of you have cosmic connections, try to throw a little good luck and good wishes her way.
Remember the bags of yarn barf?
I have been patiently undoing the various Gordian knots and winding things back into balls. I was not going to be defeated, dammit. I love my Sokkusu and my STR too much for that.
I have managed to rescue 6 balls so far. The STR Seastone (with the partially knitted sock), the Dream In Color Smooshy with Cashmere, and the Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label in Gem are still an unholy mess, but I’m 66% of the way there.
When I read Mapleweave’s blog which showed her 40 pairs of socks all in nice boxes, I decided I had to hurry up and finish the second socks for all the ones I have lying around. So I did a round-up of all the single socks, and decided that I have to finish off a second sock before starting a brand new pattern.
So I finished the Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label Prism sock. It’s funny – this one looks more vibrant than the first, but it’s the same skein of yarn. I did the double gusset decrease for sock #2. I love the way this particular pattern (which I’ve now done 4 times, I believe) doesn’t end up pooling or flashing.
So I’m pretty pleased with this. I have to finish the second Crocus sock in the Yarn Love base, but since it’s the identical pattern (with maybe a difference in where the knits and yarnovers go), I decided to take a break.
So I cast on for the second Papaver Sock in the HK Entice in Spanish Wine. I got 4 rows done before deciding to cast on for the Wollmeise Guide to Galaxy which Christy had given me.
I haven’t actually knit with Wollmeise yet. This is 100% merino, and it has 8 splitty plies. I’m using my Knit Picks Nickel DPNs because they’re a little more slick and a little less pointy than my Signatures.
I was originally thinking of doing the Om Shanti pattern from Alice Yu. Then I thought that the Mad Color Weave would be good. So I started that and then discovered that the yarn is way too stripey and the little slipped stitches are getting lost. So I frogged. I’ve started again with Fences by JC Briar from last year’s Rockin’ Sock Club. We’ll see how that goes. I’m on the first row of ribbing….
And the other thing which arrived was the January installment from the Yarn Love Sock Club. The yarn is Amy March which is a 2-ply 100% superwash merino in that kind of pebbled twist which I don’t love. The colour is called Ice Princess, which I do love. The February installment will be purple. It’s like the Yarnista Sock Club in that you get to choose one of two colourways every month.
I was sick as a dog last week and am still not fully recovered. I’m not managing to get to sleep, and I still have the nasty end of the flu / chest thing.